When we think and/or act from humility or pride the fruits that result clearly let the world and us know our motives.
When what we do comes from a place of humility:
- it leads to wisdom
- we take advice and become wise
- we reflect an obvious reverence for the Lord
- there is a deep and abiding sense of contentment
- it results in honour and respect – not just of and for self but imparting to another the seed of honour and respect for the Majesty of the Lord
When our words and actions are emitted from a sense of self-pride, the fruit is quite different and will tell the world of our prideful motives;
- the end result can be one of shame
- it often leads to arguments, especially as we try to forcefully impose our ideas and interpretation upon others
- the Lord is definitely not impressed
- can lead to destruction
- Scripture tells us it is worse than acting foolishly
- it ends in a fall – from Grace and ultimately collapse of our endeavours
There is a Scripture that succinctly sums it up and says, “pride cometh before a fall.”
We do well to remember that all that we are and are capable of is a Grace Gift from the Lord.