Watching a program and a Pastor gave a simple six point checklist to help us in making decisions.
- Clear the pathway. Clear your heart of any sin. For me this happens when I am praying and Spirit brings things to mind like anger, unforgiveness, etc. Sin fogs the mind.
- Patience. Exercise patience. Being patient is indeed an exercise for me; sometimes more challenging than my physical workouts! If we have a sudden urge to make a decision, the pastor said, back off! Psalm 25:3 tells us that when we wait on the Lord we will not be ashamed.
- Pressure. Be alert to pressure of others (good intentions or not) and self-imposed pressure. If you are uncertain then wait. I have a saying: When in doubt, don’t! Be sure to examine the consequences of the decision.
- Persist in Prayer. As we do so, know YHWH is working things out for us, perhaps still preparing us: and we draw ourselves closer to Him as we continue in prayer.
- Rest in His Promises. I immediately think of the Scripture that tells us to ask and it will be given, door will open, etc. And last but definitely not least:
- Wait for His Peace. There is no uncertainty about a decision when it is His desire for us. That sort of lines up with my saying I noted in point 3 above.